Submit an article to the DSCH Journal!
We are proud to have an open submissions policy. Articles (English only) may address any aspect of Dmitri Shostakovich’s life and music. One principal aim of the Journal is to provide a forum for original ideas on the composer and his work from a variety of perspectives. In order to incorporate the widest spectrum of ideas, we welcome submissions from scholars, performers, and amateurs alike.
We accept magazine-style pitches and complete articles.
Submissions must be received by 1 November (for January issues) and 1 May (for July issues). Please note that magazine-style pitches, if accepted, must be re-submitted as complete articles by these deadlines.
Please use the following guidelines, in addition to the DSCH Journal style guide (see below), when preparing your submissions:
- Articles should be between 1,000 and 5,000 words
- Articles should be sent as a Microsoft Word doc with no layout formatting
- Ancillary materials (e.g., illustrations, scores, tables) should be included as separate files; in the main text, indicate clearly where these materials should appear; include a caption (e.g., caption: “Shostakovich playing for members of the Soviet military”)
- Authors must have permission, and supply proof thereof, to use any copyrighted materials included with their submission
- Document style and endnotes should conform to the guidelines of the Chicago Manual of Style; note that the DSCH Journal does not print works cited or bibliographies
- Submissions should be accompanied by a cover letter complete with title, author’s name, and author’s email address
- To allow for anonymous review, please do not include identifying information anywhere other than the cover letter
N.B. DSCH Journal does not publish all submissions. Each entry is subject to review.
The DSCH Journal Style Guide can be downloaded here.
If you would like to contribute, please complete the form below, and we will contact you by return